Tuesday, December 8, 2015

A Vegan's Three Best Friends

            Are you or somebody you know lazy? Both in life and in the kitchen? Do they happen to be vegan too? Well, I can say that as a student, though I love to cook, I’m pretty lazy with my diet 50% of the time.
            For me, one of the drawbacks to cooking all of my own meals is that it can take up a lot of my precious time that could be spent watching YouTube videos, playing Plants vs. Zombies (a recent addiction), or studying (ugh).
            So with that, my 3 best friends are my rice cooker, my crockpot, and my oven. With my rice cooker, I usually throw in 1 cup of brown rice with about ½ a cup of some kind of veggie. Now I usually get pretty lazy here again and I will use frozen veggies (SO much easier than cleaning and chopping up fresh veggies), and 2 cups of water.  I can do this, go study for about an hour (who am I kidding, I’ll definitely be catching up on some of my favorite YouTubers), come back and have the perfect little meal. Add some garlic, salt, and pepper, and YUM!
            My next best friend, best in line, is the good ol’ handy dandy crockpot. If I know that I’ll be busy the next day, I’ll usually prepare a soup at night and let it cook until the next morning, and BAM, I have soup for days. (Well, usually just that day because my friend is pretty tiny, but don’t tell her that, she’s a great friend to have). Again, I’m lazy here, so I stick to the same soup recipe every time. Why change a good thing? (My crockpot gets me).
https://www.instagram.com/vivid.vegan/
            Every vegan has an arsenal of dry beans, so that usually makes up 90% of my soup. A simple recipe here, 2 cups total of any beans you like. My favorites are red kidney beans, split peas, black beans, and great northern white beans. Then I’ll add whatever veggies I have in the fridge, like carrots and celery. Add in 2 Tbspns of veggie stock paste, a good amount of apple cider vinegar, water to fill up the rest of the crockpot, and lastly, my favorite spices which I talk about in my other blog post, “Potatoes & Spices.” Put the crockpot on high if you want it ready the next morning, and wow will you wake up to a delicious smell.
            Lastly, but surely not least, is my oven. I love making fries, stir frys, and everything in between, and I just love the “oh so barely burnt” flavor that a pan cooking on top of a stove can give my veggies and potatoes, but that means I have to stand there, cook, and actually watch my food. But with my oven, I can put my veggies in a dish with some oil and spices, throw it in the oven at 450° for 20-30 minutes, and I just gave myself 20-30 minutes of Plants vs. Zombies time.
            In the end though, it’s not important the food that you make, but how much time you can save yourself for other things you need, or want to do. (Plants vs. Zombies anyone? I know I’m not alone in this addiction). So get to cooking! Or not! And get lazy with your diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment